Looking to pimp your everyday Rice Crispy Treats recipe? Look no further! All you have to do is brown the butter (a lot of butter), and add a little sea salt.
While many of you out there may have made New Years resolutions to lose weight, my husband is on a quest to gain 15lb. by the end of April, for his trip to Everest. So these treats are right up his alley!
Salted Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 10-ounce bag marshmallows
1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
6 cups crispy rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
1. Coat an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray (or use butter).
2. In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. You’ll need to be patient and vigilant during this step… the butter will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden, then finally start to turn a light brown. Stir frequently and keep your eyes on the butter – if it cooks for too long, it will burn.
3. As soon as the butter turns a light-brown color, turn the heat off and stir in the marshmallows – the heat from the melted butter should be enough to melt them (if it is not, turn it back on low until the marshmallows are smooth.)
4. Add the salt and cereal; stir to combine.
5. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Press down firmly and evenly with a piece of wax or parchment paper, or a spatula.
6. Let it cool completely, then cut into squares and serve.
Serves 9-16 – depending on how you cut them
If you make 9:
- 1 serving = 5 Weight Watchers Points
- calories: 264
- fat: 10.5g
- carbs: 40.8g (5g fiber, 16.5g sugars)
- 1.6g protein
If you make 16:
- 1 serving = 3 Weight Watchers Points
- calories: 148
- fat: 5.91g
- carbs: 22.95
- 0.9g protein